Except from the Wilson Center TRACKING THE GROWTH OF SYNTHETIC BIOLOGY: FINDINGS FOR 2013:
- The number of entities conducting research in synthetic biology increased significantly between 2009 and 2013, resulting in a total of 508 unique entities in the 2013 inventory [See footnotes1 2 3]
- The number of companies has come into closer parity with the number of universities.
- The number of companies more than tripled, increasing from 61 to 192.
- The growth in the number of universities was slower, increasing from 127 to 204.
- The increase in the number of synthetic biology companies was greater in Europe than in the United States.
- A plurality of manufacturers involved in synthetic biology research and development is focusing on specialty/fine chemical, medical and biofuels applications.
- The number of policy centers working on synthetic biology issues increased from two to 17.
Findings for the United States:
- In all, 40 of 50 states and the District of Columbia were found to contain at least one company, university, research institution, government lab, military lab or community lab space conducting research in synthetic biology.
- California had the most entries (75). Massachusetts (39), New York (20), and Texas (16) were also found to have a significant level of activity.
Findings for Europe:
- In all, 17 countries were found to contain at least one company, university, research institution, government lab, hybrid research institution/policy center or community lab space conducting research in synthetic biology.
- The United Kingdom and Germany had the most entries with 37 and 27, respectively. Switzerland was third with 11 entries.
1 Categories used are: Company, University, Research Institution, Government Lab, Military Lab, Policy and Governance, Hybrid Research Institution/Policy Center and Community Lab Space. (Three of these categories were not tracked in 2009: Military Lab, Hybrid Research Institution/Policy Center and Community Lab Space).
2 The Wilson Center added 131 companies, 77 universities, 33 research institutions, four government labs, four military labs, 15 policy and governance centers, one hybrid research institution/policy centers and 13 community lab spaces worldwide to the map inventory.
3 The map lists an additional 139 principal investigators affiliated with universities and research institutions (non-unique entries).